There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, September 13, 2014


The ADOS-2, in a nutshell:
We (one twin on one day, the other on the next) went into an unremarkable room with a small table and two chairs. The child psychologist and speech pathologist administered the test. The twins 35 months, two weeks old, at the time of eval.

They brought out various objects and waited to see how he would interact with them.  They asked him to point to his shoes, show where his hair is, point to his nose, etc. For the most part neither boy complied with these requests. They called the name from across the room but neither boy turned to ever recognize the person calling their name.
They asked ME to call their names, and they looked immediately.
They brought out a balloon, blew it up, let it go, and clapped. They waited to see if he would request for the balloon to be blown up again, but both boys just stared and waited for them to blow it up. They did not say "more", or "again", or "balloon", or anything to indicate what they wanted. But they definitely wanted it to be done again.
They brought a baby doll and told them it was the baby's birthday and they were going to make believe to have a birthday party for the baby (meanwhile jackson AND lincoln both are just playing with the baby's eyelids, flipping them open and closed. The woman put plastic plates and cups and birthday napkins on the table for the "party", they produced playdo to make a cake, they put little sticks in the playdo to represent candles, and they asked to sing happy birthday to the baby. Lincoln at this point had already walked away from the table and was pulling me toward the door to leave. Jackson did the same but actually sang Happy Birthday to the baby on his own before he left the table. Needless to say I was shocked he did this.

They produced some more matching items, they brought some food out in tupperware containers (cookies in one, potato chips in the other) and waited for the boys to ASK for the food, or for help.
They weren't quick to bring the tupperware to an adult, and Lincoln spent some time trying to open it himself.
They blew bubbles, and stopped, then waited for the boys to ask for more bubbles.  Both boys said "Bubbles" indicating they wanted more.

They brought out a blanket and hid behind it, trying to engage the boys in peekaboo. Neither boy was interested and instead cried and yelled and pulled on my hand and shirt to stand up and open the door to leave. They gave me the blanket to try to play peekaboo, and immediately each boy started cheer up, laugh, and play with me.

The test then pointed questions at me, one after another about their development, when they crawled, my pregnancy, any complications, etc. They asked if the boys walk on their tiptoes, or seem to be fixated on certain objects, etc. All questions helped to create a score.

They called me a week later to discuss the results. They were lovely women and I knew they only wanted to help. So I waited, and I trusted. And courage stirred, and my faith grew.

No comments:

Post a Comment